Mission: To advance adult education, family literacy, and English language acquisition in the U.S. by increasing public awareness for the need to increase funding and programs; promoting effective public policy; and serving as an authoritative resource on national adult education issues.
Vision: All adults are able to fulfill their potential and meet their goals through accessing high quality adult education and literacy services provided by an integrated and well-developed system.
NCL impacts legislation and public policy by:
- Working with Congressional staff on the House and Senate committees and individual member offices;
- Working in coalition with other groups including the Committee for Education Funding;
- Providing timely policy updates and alerts to NCL Members that inform and engage the adult education community nation-wide in the federal legislative process;
- Collaborating with government agencies such as U. S. Department of Education, Office of Vocational and Adult Education (OVAE); and
- Hosting an annual Policy Forum focused on an emerging trend in the literacy policy arena. Past Forums have focused on Women's Education and Economic Opportunities (2010) Immigration policies and implications (2009), WIA reauthorization (2008), and Health Literacy (2007).
NCL promotes partnerships and raises awareness of literacy by:
- Hosting regional advocacy symposia with significant financial support from the Dollar General Literacy Foundation;
- Hosting workshops, panel presentations, and debates at regional and national conferences;
- Hosting the annual Literacy Leadership Awards reception with support from the Dollar General Literacy Foundation; and
- Using social media, such as the NCL Advocacy Blog and Twitter, to inform advocates and promote public policies that support adult education and literacy.
Join NCL in advocating for adult education, family literacy and English language acquisition: