- June 2013: NCL offers recommendations on the discussion draft of the 2013 Senate Workforce Investment Act (WIA) Reauthorization bill.
- June 2013: NCL public policy advocacy co-chairs were invited to meet with Senator Bennett’s staff and give input on the Careers Through Responsive, Efficient, and Effective Retraining (CAREER) Act, which focuses on the use of “pay for success” models in education and training. NCL provided feedback that the use of such models should be structured to provide incentives to serve the lowest-skilled adult learners and should rely on additional funds instead of repurposing limited existing adult education funding.
- May 2013: NCL writes Senators Patrick Leahy and Charles Grassley in strong support of S.744, The Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act, which recognizes the importance of immigrant integration programs to promote citizenship education and English language proficiency.
- May 2013: NCL joins 116 organizations in opposing three proposed amendments to S. 744 – Grassley 23 (MDM13394), Sessions 40 (MDM13370), and Sessions 41 (MDM13369). These amendments would eliminate provisions that ensure that the federal government, non-profit organizations, and the private sector share responsibility for making the investment necessary to provide direct assistance for immigrants seeking to legalize their status, learn English and U.S. civics and history, become Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs), apply for U.S. citizenship, and integrate fully into American society.
- April 2013: NCL works closely with House Adult Literacy Caucus Co-chairs Phil Roe and Ruben Hinojosa to support funding for adult education in FY2104. (Dear Colleague Letter)
- April 2013: Supported outreach for the Dear Colleague Letter for support of Adult Education Funding. ALERT: Ask Your U.S. Rep to Support Adult Education Funding in FY2014 By Signing the Roe-Hinojosa Dear Colleague Letter! Deadline to make your calls: This Monday, 4/15 -- please take care of it this week!
- April 2013: Signed on to a letter of support to urge Congress to provide the largest possible FY 2014 302(b) allocation to the Labor, HHS, Education and Related Agencies Appropriations Subcommittee. (Final letter)
- March 2013: NCL writes Congressman John Kline and Congresswoman Virginia Foxx opposing The Supporting Knowledge and Investing in Lifelong Skills (“SKILLS”) Act (H.R. 803). While NCL strongly supports the long‐awaited reauthorization of the Workforce Investment Act (WIA), H.R. 803 would threaten the ability of states and communities to educate low-skilled adults and English language learners and prepare them for self-sufficiency, not improve it.
- March 2013: Signed on to a letter to Congress that expresses support for the Harkin Amendment in the Continuing Appropriations Act of 2013, which reinstates student aid/Pell eligibility for Ability to Benefit students so long as they are enrolled in eligible career pathway programs and meet ATB requirements.
- February 2013: Signed on to a letter distributed by NDD United, signed by 3,200 organizations to urge Congress to support a balanced approach to deficit reduction that does not include further cuts to discretionary programs. (Letter here)
2012 - 2011 - 2010 – 2009 – 2008 - 2007