Today, on the 50th anniversary of International Literacy Day, the Board of Directors of the National Coalition for Literacy (NCL) is pleased to announce the winners of this year’s Literacy Leadership Awards. Our 2016 Literacy Leadership Awards Event will be held during Adult Education and Family Literacy Week, on Tuesday, September 27 from 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., here in Washington, DC in the Rayburn House Office Building, Room B-369.
The NCL Literacy Leadership Awards recognize individuals and/or organizations that have made extraordinary national contributions to improving adult literacy and English language learning in the United States. This year, the NCL will recognize the following outstanding individuals and organizations:
- Johan Uvin, Acting Assistant Secretary, Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education, U.S. Department of Education, for his long-standing commitment to advancing adult education at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Senator Jack Reed, who has been a champion for Adult Education funding in the U.S. Senate, and at the forefront of legislative efforts to strengthen Adult Education research and Adult Education’s role in the workforce system and Career and Technical Education.
- The Division of Consumer & Business Education at the Federal Trade Commission’s Bureau of Consumer Protection, for its commitment to serving and guiding adults with limited reading ability, and for its outreach to those working with them, particularly teachers in adult basic education and ESL programs.
- Margaret Becker Patterson, of Research Allies for Lifelong Learning, and Marty Finsterbusch, of VALUE USA, for ALLIES, a groundbreaking research study on adult learner leadership.
- John Y. Cole, Library of Congress Historian and founding Director of the Center for the Book, who has been instrumental in shaping numerous literacy and reading-promotion programs during his 50-year tenure at the Library, including the Library of Congress Literacy Awards.
In addition, retiring Congressman Rubén Hinojosa (D-TX), the Co-chair of the House Adult Literacy Caucus, will receive special recognition for his life-long commitment in support of adult education, and for outstanding leadership in advocating education as a congressional and national priority. Congressman Phil Roe (R-TN), Co-Chair of the House Adult Literacy Caucus, has also been invited.
Registration for the event is now open: http://literacyleadership2016.eventbrite.com
The NCL Literacy Leadership Awards are made possible through the generous support of NCL members, with additional support from ETS HiSET and the Dollar General Literacy Foundation. Find out more about becoming a sponsor.
The National Coalition for Literacy is seeking award nominations from members for its annual Literacy Leadership Award Celebration. The event will be held in Washington D.C. on
September 28, 2016 September 27, 2016.
A nominee must have made a significant contribution to the field of adult education and literacy.
Nominations are due by August 1 to Kristin Lahurd at firstname.lastname@example.org. Literacy Leadership Award winners will be notified by mid-August.
For more details and a nomination form, please go to: 2016 NCL Literacy Leadership Award Nominee Form.