Mission and Vision
NCL’s mission is to advance adult education, family literacy, and English language acquisition in the United States by increasing public awareness of the need to increase programs and funding; by promoting effective public policy; and by serving as an authoritative resource on national adult education issues.
We envision a nation in which all adults are able to fulfill their potential and meet their goals through accessing high quality adult education and literacy services provided by an integrated and well-developed system.
NCL affects legislation and public policy by
- Working with Congressional staff on the relevant House and Senate committees and in individual members’ offices
- Providing timely policy updates and alerts that inform and engage the adult education community nationwide in the federal policy making and legislative process
- Hosting Congressional briefings in partnership with the House Adult Literacy Caucus
- Collaborating with other education-focused groups, including the Committee for Education Funding
- Participating in partnerships focused on issues that affect adult learners, such as the Census Task Force convened by the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
- Communicating regularly with government agencies such as the U. S. Department of Education, Office of Career, Technical and Adult Education (OCTAE)
NCL promotes partnerships and raises awareness of adult literacy by
- Conducting advocacy campaigns to galvanize support for adult education and family literacy, such as National Adult Education & Family Literacy Week and Investing in Adult Education PAYS!
- Leading workshops and panel presentations at national and regional conferences
- Using social media such as Facebook and Twitter to inform advocates and promote public policies that support adult education and literacy