Literacy to Leadership: Policies That Promote Adult Student Success was the focus of a Congressional briefing presented by NCL, VALUEUSA, and ProLiteracy on April 14, 2021. The briefing illustrated the power of adult education to transform lives and build the strength and resilience of communities.
The briefing opened with introductory remarks from three Congressional champions of adult education:
- Congressman John Yarmuth (KY-03), Chairman, House Budget Committee, and Chairman, House Adult Literacy Caucus
- Congressman Bobby Scott (VA-03), Chairman, House Committee on Education and Labor
- Senator Jack Reed (RI)
Briefing panelists included adults who have taken alternative education paths and are now leaders in the field, as well as practitioners with extensive knowledge of the role of policy in promoting high-quality adult education programs.
- Kim R. Ford, President and CEO, Martha’s Table, and former Deputy Assistant Secretary and Acting Assistant Secretary in the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education
- Rachel DeVaughan, Ph.D., Deputy Executive Director, Programs at Mississippi Community College Board
- Carlos Vasquez, Instructor, Catholic Charities of New Mexico
- HollyAnn Fresa-Moore, Principal, Carlos Rosario International Public Charter School
- Marty Finsterbusch, Executive Director, VALUEUSA
Recordings of the full briefing and the individual panelists’ presentations are available through the links below.