The 2020 Census and Adult Education: Adapting to COVID-19 Challenges
April 1, 2020, 2:00 PM Eastern time
- Recent changes to the process and schedule for 2020 Census data collection in response to evolving public health concerns
- Strategies for suspended programs and delivery at a distance to help adult educators and programs adapt their Census-related assistance and instruction
- Information on teaching materials, conducting outreach, and supporting online completion of the Census
Listen to the webinar recording here.
Census 2020 Activities for Adult Education Classrooms and Programs
January 28, 2000, 2:00 PM Eastern time
This webinar described resources and activities aimed at mobilizing adult education students and their communities to get out the census count. Teaching resources shared in the webinar address census basics (what it is, why it matters, and how to participate) as well as census issues (such as past misuse of census data and what’s different now) as they build language, literacy, and numeracy skills. We will also share examples of program-wide campaigns that energize students and give them an opportunity to practice their leadership and civic skills.
Listen to the webinar recording here
Read and download the webinar slide decks:
- Heather Ritchie, Carlos Rosario International Public Charter School, Program-wide Mobilization
- Stephanie Kriebel, San Mateo Adult & Career Education, Census Ambassador Training
- Jennifer Gagliardi, Milpitas Unified School District, Preparing Beginning ESOL Students to Participate
- Andy Nash, World Education, Stand Up and Be Counted Resources for Adult Educators
Census 2020 and Adult Education: Call to Action
December 4, 2019, 2:00 PM Eastern time
In this webinar, attendees learned about Census 2020 directly from Census Bureau representatives and heard from NCL members about the unique role adult education can play in the 2020 count. The webinar outlined how and why the Census happens, how people can respond, how to mobilize your community around Census complete counts, and how to incorporate the Census into adult education programs and content. Speakers included Michele Diecuch (ProLiteracy), Cathy Hartz (Census Bureau), and Tabitha Stickel (Goodling Institute for Research in Family Literacy, Penn State).
Census 2020: Preparing Your Adult Education Program, Participants, and Community – featuring California’s Adult Education Program
October 11, 2019, 2:00 PM Eastern time
Census 2020 is critical! An undercount of your community will mean a loss of resources and representation for the next decade. Adult education programs like yours can make a difference.
Partnering with World Education, we will highlight California’s campaign to prepare and connect adult education learners to Census jobs.
Neil Kelly of the California Adult Education Program office will discuss the development and outcomes of work with adult education programs and students across the state. John Werner of the Sequoia Adult Education program will share their Census Enumerator job preparation program resources.
- Webinar recording
- Webinar slide deck
Preparing Adult Education Programs for the 2020 Census
June 4, 2019
NCL and the New England Literacy Resource Center at World Education conducted this overview webinar, with presenters Judy Mortrude, Deborah Kennedy, Kristin Lahurd, Heather Ritchie, and Andy Nash.